Top Tips for Theatre Trips with Young Children
To make your theatre trip as easy as possible here are some top tips from Kids Week Facebook fans!
- Plan ahead and leave plenty of time for your journey. Check for rail closures and replacement services before you set off in case you need to change your route.
- Read up on the show you're seeing so you can chat about it on the way. If you're going to a musical, listen to the cast album in advance.
- Enjoy London transport. See the sights. Go shopping. Have a meal out. Whatever you do, make every aspect of the trip an adventure!
- Make sure your children know exactly what to do in an emergency. For example, if they get stuck on a tube on their own, tell them to get off at the next stop and wait for you on the platform.
- Give your children a London I-Spy Guide or sticker book to keep them occupied and help spot iconic landmarks while travelling.
- Look out for black cabs that have a toddler seat in the arm rest.
- Take every toilet stop opportunity and make sure you go before the show starts.
- Pose for pictures outside the theatre as photography is not permitted in the auditorium during performances.
- Buy a programme to familiarise your children with the plot and characters before the show begins. In the interval talk about the story so far and what might happen next.
- If you nibble on sweets during the show, be as quiet as possible.
- Most importantly, have fun with your family and enjoy your theatre trip!
Keep up to date with family theatre news
Stay up to date with all the latest family-friendly theatre news, offers and competitions by signing up to receive the Family Bulletin. This is also the first place we’ll announce any exciting Kids Week news!